Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Day 74: Finally getting unemployment

So we come upon day 74 with some happy news for a change. It's been some time since I posted but that is basically because there was little change in the job search. Still searching but had some of the stress lifted off my shoulders.
Finally got my Unemployment Insurance Benefits worked out. It was actually fairly simple and I feel a little dumb for it taking me this long to figure it out. So here is a word of advice to anyone that may find this blog in their search for information on unemployment benefits. If you have been filing for multiple weeks and have not received a card, it may be because you got one within 3 years and don't still have it. Yes this was the case with me and while it should have been something I thought of a while ago, I just didn't. Apparently the cards are valid for 3 years, and I had filed 2.5 years ago and received a card then. At the time I had a severance package from my previous employer and would not receive benefits till that was used. Then I got a job before any money was put on the card. So I just cut it up and threw it away. Well apparently for the last 3-4 weeks they have been paying out benefits to my account, I just didn't know and had no way to access it.
If you are applying for unemployment benefits and are not sure if your receiving payment I suggest a few things to help get it worked out. First check to make sure you don't have any unresolved issues with unemployment, you can check this on the www.azui.com website just like when filing online. If there are no issues than try calling the place that handles the cards in your state, here in Az it is chase and the number is 1-866-802-7011, a tip the person at unemployment gave me was that when they ask for your social press #, do this 3 times and you will be sent to a live person who can reissue a card to you after a few questions to verify identity.
I'm providing this advice because I spent a week calling the unemployment office, 20-30 times per day, every day. I almost gave up, but decided to persevere. Monday-Thursday was the same thing, I would call, make my selection to get to someone about questions, and would be told that due to high call volumes call back at another time. Finally on Friday I got through and was allowed to wait on hold for 16 minutes. I was just relieved to get on hold. However, the person I spoke to at unemployment was very nice and extremely helpful, as well as the person I spoke to at Chase(the company that issues the card). So if your finding yourself in the sad predicament that I was in then hang in there and keep trying.

Just as a side note. Annoying situation with trying to find a job, had a phone interview with a company(which will remain nameless) for a security guard position. I was waiting for the call, somewhat excitedly, then when the call came it was them telling me that the position was already filled and the issue is that it could take a couple of days to remove the position from the website. Great but in the meantime why did they schedule a phone interview? Why didn't they send an email to me or something to let me know? In my opinion the way they handled it was a little crappy and unprofessional, and will cause me not to shop at their store.

Well thats all for the moment. I will be back with more developments soon. And if anyone reading this is unemployed and looking for a job just hang in there, and I hope you enjoy my Unsolicited Advice =)

No comments:

Post a Comment